Thursday, January 31, 2013

Copy Fail: Marks and Spencer



It pains me to criticise a brand I have myself contributed to, if only briefly. But unless I am much mistaken, the concept of being taken “hook, line and sinker”, refers to swallowing the bait. As in being conned, or falling for some kind of trick or lie. Are we then to assume that Marks and Spencer have fallen for a policy which they know now to be a trick, a fiction, a fraud? And are choosing to stick with it?

It’s the worst kind of copywriting. An attempt at clever word play that pays no attention to context or meaning. Although I suppose believing in something is quite a lot different to actually doing something about it.


3 comments:

Philip Ogley said...

Are you copying Velkey?

http://alexandershvelky.blogspot.fr/2013/01/picking-punctuation-nits-in-m-cafe.html

Alexander S. H. Velky said...

My M&S is worse than your M&S http://alexandershvelky.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/picking-punctuation-nits-in-m-cafe.html

LOL (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dave Paul Nixon said...

Yeah, yours is better. I remember the first week working at M&S, I was sat with a woman in the cafe of their flagship Marble Arch store and she pointed out to me all the missing apostrophes in their signage.

It's not rocket science. It really isn't.